- The Annual “Aid to the Missionary Church in the World” collection is taken up throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton on Pentecost Sunday.Christ died for our sins on the life-giving wood of the Cross. His message of love, mercy and forgiveness is needed ever more in our broken world. As Christians, we are called to continue Jesus’ mission of spreading the Good News, each according to our ability and means.Concretely, the Church invites us to collaborate in the mission of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, by giving generously to the following international collections:
- Peter’s Pence (Pope’s Pastoral Works or Papal Charities),
- World Mission Fund,
- Collection for the Holy Land,
- Catholic Near East Welfare Association, and
- Aid to the Church in Ukraine.
- 2017 Presbyteral Council meetings:
- Monday, October 30 (2:00–4:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre)
- 2017 Clergy Conferences:
- Friday, November 3 (10:00 am-1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- Friday, November 3 (10:00 am-1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- The 2017 National Week of Life and Family is celebrated from May 14-21. The theme for the week is: “Love Grows by Giving.” Material to help celebrate the National Week of Life and family are available on the CCCB website: www.cccb.ca The materials, prepared by the Catholic Organization for Life and Family (COLF), include:
- poster which can be freely downloaded and reproduced;
- prayer card, also for downloading and photocopying;
- proposed plan for pastors and lay pastoral workers on how they might organize the Week;
- message from Bishop Douglas Crosby, President of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops;
- proposals for homily notes and Prayers of the Faithful;
- suggestions for related events and activities; and
- COLF’s document entitled “The Joy of Love” At the Heart of the Family, which gives a brief overview of Pope Francis’ Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love), copies of which can be ordered from COLF online: www.colf.ca/
- The 8th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 7, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Avenue), Edmonton.The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God.Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; chancery [at] edmontoneparchy [dot] com.
- Annual Clergy Retreats:
- June 12-16, 2017, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Very Rev. Dr. Andrij Onuferko, Spiritual Director – Holy Spirit Seminary, Ottawa; General Secretary – Vibrant Parish Program, Synod of Bishops; Sessional Lecturer – Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute, Ottawa.
- June 11-15, 2018, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Fr. Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC, member of the Missionaries of Charity Fathers, postulator of the cause of canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and editor of A Call to Mercy: hearts to love, hands to serve, Mother Teresa.
- Join Bishop David and the Eparchy of Edmonton in marking the 400th Anniversary of the Order of Saint Basil the Great of Saint Josaphat – the Basilian Fathers – with a Thanksgiving Divine Liturgy at 10:00 am, Sunday, June 25 at the Annual Vidpust/Pilgrimage, Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare. Special guests include: Metropolitan Lawrence Huculak, Archeparchy of Winnipeg; and Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior, Basilian Fathers in Canada.
- The Catholic Bishops of Canada, upon a proposal by the bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories, will consecrate Canada to the Mother of God on Saturday, July 1, or on the day following, marking the 150th anniversary of Confederation. Bishop David, on behalf of the Ukrainian Catholic faithful in Alberta, will do so on Sunday, June 25, on the occasion of the annual Saints Peter and Paul Parish Pilgrimage/Vidpust, Mundare.Other pastors are invited to do the same with their respective parish community on Sunday, July 2.A special prayer to be used for the consecration has been prepared, together with catechetical material on the meaning, history, and different kinds of consecration to the Mother of God (attached):
- Text of the prayer of consecration. A shorter version of this prayer will soon be available by means of a prayer card especially commissioned for popular general use by the faithful.
- Catechetical resource for adults (Q&A)
- Catechetical resource for children (6-8 years old)
- Catechetical resource for children (9-11 years old)
Not since the National Marian Congress at Trois-Rivières in 1954, when Cardinals James McGuigan and Paul-Émile Léger consecrated the nation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, has such an act has been undertaken.
Given the challenges we face today for a new evangelization, the hope is that each diocese and eparchy will welcome a renewed act of consecration to Our Lady as an important opportunity for the Church’s mission in Canada.
- Annual Clergy Study Days – October 30-November 2 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton).
- The 2018 World Meeting of Families will take place August 22-26 in Dublin, Ireland. Pope Francis has chosen as the theme of the World Meeting of Families: “The Gospel of the Family – Joy of the World,” and has expressed the hope that he will be present in person.
The World Meetings of Families are an important moment in the life of the Catholic Church and in the lives of families, focusing on the vocation and mission of the family.
The international gathering is open to all faithful throughout the world. For more information and registration, visit www.worldmeeting2018.ie.
Bishop Miguel Mykycej reposed in the Lord on May 20 at the age of 82 years.
Bishop Miguel was born in Horocholyna, Ukraine, on October 17, 1934. He entered the Sons of Divine Providence Religious Community in 1954, and was ordained priest in 1963.
In 1990, he was ordained bishop, having served the Eparchy of Santa María del Patrocinio in Buenos Aires, Argentina, first as Auxiliary Bishop, then Eparchial Bishop, until his retirement on April 10, 2017.
Зі Святими упокой, Христе, вічная пам’ять! Eternal memory!
Published are article covering recent events in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta by Jayne L. Buryn, Communications Coordinator, Eparchy of Edmonton:
- “A Vidpust with Special Meaning. The nation’s consecration to the Theotokos and commemorating 150, 125 and 400 triumphant years.”
- “Diverse Practices for Diverse Cultures: North American Ukrainian Catholic Bishops discuss application of Ukrainian Catholic Particular Law in Canada and the United States.”
© 2017 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330