- The Annual “Aid to the Missionary Church in the World” collection is taken up throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton on Pentecost Sunday.Christ died for our sins on the life-giving wood of the Cross. His message of love, mercy and forgiveness is needed ever more in our broken world. As Christians, we are called to continue Jesus’ mission of spreading the Good News, each according to our ability and means.Concretely, the Church invites us to collaborate in the mission of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, by giving generously to the following international collections:
- Peter’s Pence (Pope’s Pastoral Works or Papal Charities),
- World Mission Fund,
- Collection for the Holy Land,
- Catholic Near East Welfare Association, and
- Aid to the Church in Ukraine.
- The Ukrainian Musical Society of Alberta will hold its first-ever Easter Concert, 7:00 pm, Sunday, May 7, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral. Plan to celebrate the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord through the age-old tradition of Easter Hymns sung by numerous parish and community choirs from Edmonton.
- 2017 Presbyteral Council meetings:
- Monday, May 8 (note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm, Pastoral Centre, followed by light supper and 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
- Monday, October 30 (2:00–4:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre)
- 2017 Clergy Conferences:
- Tuesday, May 9 (note special time – 1:30-4:30 pm, Saint Josaphat Cathedral Hall-Verkhovyna, followed by 4:30 pm reception and supper with clergy families, Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate, and Basilian Fathers and Brothers);
- Friday, November 3 (10:00 am-1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- The 54th World Day of Prayer for Vocations will be celebrated on the Fourth Sunday of Easter, May 7. Pope Francis’ Message for the celebration, on the theme “Led by the Spirit for Mission,” can be found at: www.clerus.va/
- The 2017 National Week of Life and Family is celebrated from May 14-21. The theme for the week is: “Love Grows by Giving.” Material to help celebrate the National Week of Life and family are available on the CCCB website: www.cccb.ca The materials, prepared by the Catholic Organization for Life and Family (COLF), include:
- poster which can be freely downloaded and reproduced;
- prayer card, also for downloading and photocopying;
- proposed plan for pastors and lay pastoral workers on how they might organize the Week;
- message from Bishop Douglas Crosby, President of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops;
- proposals for homily notes and Prayers of the Faithful;
- suggestions for related events and activities; and
- COLF’s document entitled “The Joy of Love” At the Heart of the Family, which gives a brief overview of Pope Francis’ Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love), copies of which can be ordered from COLF online: www.colf.ca/
- World Communications Day this year will be celebrated on May 28. Attached for your information is Pope Francis’ message to mark the occasion on the theme, “Fear not, for I am with you” (Is 43:5).
- Bishop David will confer the Sacred Orders of the Priesthood upon Deacon Andrij Nykyforuk at 10:00 am, Saturday, May 27, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- The 8th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 7, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Avenue), Edmonton.The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God.Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; chancery [at] edmontoneparchy [dot] com.
- Annual Clergy Retreats:
- June 12-16, 2017, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Very Rev. Dr. Andrij Onuferko, Spiritual Director – Holy Spirit Seminary, Ottawa; General Secretary – Vibrant Parish Program, Synod of Bishops; Sessional Lecturer – Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute, Ottawa.
- June 11-15, 2018, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Fr. Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC, member of the Missionaries of Charity Fathers, postulator of the cause of canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and editor of A Call to Mercy: hearts to love, hands to serve, Mother Teresa.
- Join Bishop David and the Eparchy of Edmonton in marking the 400th Anniversary of the Order of Saint Basil the Great of Saint Josaphat – the Basilian Fathers – with a Thanksgiving Divine Liturgy at 10:00 am, Sunday, June 25 at the Annual Vidpust/Pilgrimage, Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare. Special guests include: Metropolitan Lawrence Huculak, Archeparchy of Winnipeg; and Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior, Basilian Fathers in Canada.
- The Catholic Bishops of Canada, upon a proposal by the bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories, will consecrate Canada to the Mother of God on Saturday, July 1, or on the day following, marking the 150th anniversary of Confederation. Bishop David, on behalf of the Ukrainian Catholic faithful in Alberta, will do so on Sunday, June 25, on the occasion of the annual Saints Peter and Paul Parish Pilgrimage/Vidpust, Mundare.Other pastors are invited to do the same with their respective parish community on Sunday, July 2.A special prayer to be used for the consecration has been prepared, together with catechetical material on the meaning, history, and different kinds of consecration to the Mother of God (attached):
- Text of the prayer of consecration. A shorter version of this prayer will soon be available by means of a prayer card especially commissioned for popular general use by the faithful.
- Catechetical resource for adults (Q&A)
- Catechetical resource for children (6-8 years old)
- Catechetical resource for children (9-11 years old)
Not since the National Marian Congress at Trois-Rivières in 1954, when Cardinals James McGuigan and Paul-Émile Léger consecrated the nation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, has such an act has been undertaken.
Given the challenges we face today for a new evangelization, the hope is that each diocese and eparchy will welcome a renewed act of consecration to Our Lady as an important opportunity for the Church’s mission in Canada.
- Annual Clergy Study Days – October 30-November 2 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton).
- Pope Francis, in consultation with Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, appointed Bishop Venedykt Aleksiychuk as Bishop of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Chicago. He succeeds Bishop Richard Seminack until his passing in 2016. Until now, Bishop Venedykt served as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Lviv, Ukraine. He was born in Ukraine on January 16, 1968; was ordained a priest twenty-five years ago; and was ordained a bishop on September 5th, 2010.
- The Vibrant Parish Working Group each year promotes “Mission Days” / “Декада місійності” as a parish tradition throughout our Church. This year, Mission Days fall from May 24 – June 4.
The Mission Days Guidebook, which offers prayerful reflections based on the daily Gospel readings, are available on the Edmonton Eparchy website (www.eeparchy.com), both in English and in Ukrainian.
- The Canadian Confrence of Catholic Bishops issued a message marking the 150th Aanniversary of Canadian Confederation.
- The Canadian Confrence of Catholic Bishops issued a Statement on Canada’s Opioid Crisis and Drug Addition.
- Most Rev. Douglas Crosby, President, Canadian Confrence of Catholic Bishops signed an interfaith statement, entitled, “An Interfaith Call for a Palliative Care Strategy for Canada”.
The Statement advocates for a well-funded, national initiative both to improve the quality and availability of palliative care in Canada and to ensure that palliative care excludes any practices which intend to kill a patient.The statement was co-signed by other religious leaders in Canada – Jewish, Muslim and Christian. The text was published as an op-ed in The Hill Times.
- Bishop David:
- Granted Rev. Michael Bombak study leave at Newman Theological College, Edmonton. Father Mike will pursue a Masters of Theology (MTh.), with a focus on marriage and family studies, starting September 2017. During his studies, he will provide pastoral care on Sundays at Descent of the Holy Spirit Parish, Lloydminster, and Saint Olga Parish, Vermilion, commencing July 1, 2017. Gratitude and appreciation is expressed to Rt. Rev. Wiliam Hupalo for serving well our faithful in these parishes between pastors.
- Appointed Deacon Andrij Nykyforuk, following his ordination to the priesthood, as Assistant Pastor at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, effective July 1, 2017.
- From information gathered for the 2016 Annual General Statistical Questionnaire on behalf of the Vatican Secretariat of State, as of December 31, 2016 the Eparchy of Edmonton has (by way of comparison, 2014 numbers are included in brackets):
- Ukrainian Catholic population of 28,750, with 5,087 in regular Sunday attendance (2015: 5,486)
- 84 parishes and missions (2015: 84)
- 31 eparchial priests (30)
- 9 religious priests (9)
- 4 deacons (4)
- 4 eparchial seminarians (3) ; 2 religious seminarians (2)
- 15 women religious (16)
- 7 men religious (7)
- 221 baptisms (246)
- 95 First Communions (120)
- 47 marriages (53)
- 260 funerals (237)
- 294 children in catechism (295)
- 50 catechists (51)
- “Investing in Our Future Today” – A Youth Ministry Initiative. For the third year in a row, the Eparchy of Edmonton is investing in youth and young family initiatives from our Evangelization Fund. In doing so, we continue to implement our 25 Year Pastoral Plan Evangelization: A New Springtime – Encountering the Person of Christ.
Pastors, together with Parish Pastoral Councils, are invited to submit their applications by May 15, 2017. Together we can make a difference in the faith of our youth and young families. Follow the Link to download the Application: PDF – 2017 Parish Grant ApplicationFor more information, contact Millie Schietzsch, Director of Youth Ministry, at (780) 424-5496, or email youth [at] eeparchy [dot] com.
Published are article covering recent events in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta by Jayne L. Buryn, Communications Coordinator, Eparchy of Edmonton:
- “Bishop David ‘plays soccer’ with Pope Francis. Long awaited ad limina visit made in April”
- “An amazing women’s organization: New Kiew UCWLC celebrates its 70th anniversary”
- “Table for Two – You are My Valentine;” faith has helped us through mountains and valleys
- “Planting the Seeds of Change;” Ukrainian Catholic Children’s Camp Oselia takes on a new environmental stewardship focus with CORE
- “Eva Tomiuk Passes On;” Ukrainian Culture Icon Takes it to Heaven
© 2017 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330