- During Great Lent, the Eparchy of Edmonton conducts its annual collection for “Aid to the Missionary Church in Canada.” The purpose of this collection is to support the needs of the Church in Canada. Three charitable institutions are the recipients of the collection: the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, Catholic Missions in Canada, and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.The Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta responds to the call of Christ to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28: 19-20). The Eparchy of Edmonton supports local priests in their travel, health care, pension, and clergy substitution, thus ensuring that they can respond to the pastoral needs of the faithful, especially the celebration of the Divine Liturgy and funerals in rural Alberta. Visit www.edmontoneparchy.com to see how the Church is working for you. Catholic Missions in Canada supports over 600 missionaries – priests, deacons, sisters, brothers and lay ministers – throughout 27 eparchies and dioceses right here in Canada, including the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Catholic Missions supports the local churches in our call to proclaim the Gospel among Firsts Nations communities, missionary support, religious education programs, building and repairs, lay pastoral leadership programs, and education of seminarians. To learn more about the work of Catholic Missions in Canada visit (www.cmic.info) and sign up for a free subscription to its quarterly magazine by calling toll free 1-866-937-2642.
Each year the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops is asked to speak out, give leadership, and provide guidelines for the faithful on a wide variety of topics in our daily lives. For our bishops to do so, they must have the benefit of research and expert advice. Research and gathering information requires staff, time and money. Through the yearly bishops’ collection, an appeal is made to all Catholics to be generous towards the work of their bishops. To learn more about the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, visit www.cccb.ca.
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2016 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2016.
- The 25th World Day of the Sick will be celebrated on February 11. Here is the text to mark the occasion of the Holy Father’s Message, “Amazement at what God has accomplished: The almighty has done great things for me… (Lk 1:49).”
- In accordance with decisions of the 2016 Synod of Bishops, and in the spirit of charity and mercy, pastors are encouraged to include prayer petitions in the celebration of the Divine Liturgy for the following intentions:
- Sunday of the Prodigal Son (February 12) – Day of Pastoral Care for Prisoners;
- Meatfare Sunday (February 19) – Day of Social Outreach and Works of Charity; and
- Renew the practice of “Social Action Days” of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky – the week between the Sunday of the Prodigal Son and Meatfare Sunday, whereby parishes undertake some special project to assist the poor and the marginalized.
- 2017 Presbyteral Council meetings (2:00–4:00 pm, Chancery Office) – March 6, May 8 (note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm followed by 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral), October 30 (2:00-4:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- 2017 Clergy Conferences (10:00–1:00 pm):
- March 7, May 9, November 3 (note special time – 10:00 a – 1:00 pm).
- The 54th World Day of Prayer for Vocations will be celebrated on the Fourth Sunday of Easter, May 7. Pope Francis’ Message for the celebration, on the theme “Led by the Spirit for Mission,” can be found at: www.clerus.va/
- World Communications Day this year will be celebrated on May 28. Attached for your information is Pope Francis’ message to mark the occasion on the theme, “Fear not, for I am with you” (Is 43:5).
- The Archdiocese of Vancouver will host the biennial Western Canadian Catholic Stewardship Conference from June 9-11. The theme of the conference is “Stewards of Christ’s Mission.” Open to clergy, religious and laity alike. For more information and registration, contact Mrs. Corina Siy, Stewardship Coordinator, at csiy [at] rcav [dot] org or call (604) 443-3203.
- Annual Clergy Retreats:
- June 12-16, 2017, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Very Rev. Dr. Andrij Onuferko, Spiritual Director – Holy Spirit Seminary, Ottawa; General Secretary – Vibrant Parish Program, Synod of Bishops; Sessional Lecturer – Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute, Ottawa.
- June 11-15, 2018
- 2017 Annual Clergy Study Days –October 30-November 2. Previously scheduled for October 2-5 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton).
- The opening of the Bishop David Motiuk Catholic Elementary School will take place 7:00 pm, Monday, October 2.
- Bishop David renewed the membership of the Eparchial Liturgical Commission.The Eparchial Liturgical Commission assists the bishop in articulating the liturgical vision and mission within the Eparchy of Edmonton.The Commission advises the bishop on liturgical matters; studies and researches liturgical issues; provides ritual and liturgical texts for use in the eparchy; oversees the preparation of liturgical educational materials; regulates pastoral liturgical action for approval by the bishop; and maintains relations with the Patriarchal Liturgical commission and the Synodal Liturgical Committee.
The Commission membership consists of:
- Most Rev. David Motiuk (ex officio)
- Very Rev. Stephen Wojcichowsky, Chancellor (ex officio)
- Peter Babej, member (3 years, 2017-2020)
- Teodosy Kraychuk, member, Secretary (2 years, 2017-2019)
- John Sembrat osbm, member (2 years, 2017-2019)
- Melanie Turgeon, member (3 years, 2017-2020)
- Danylo Kuc, member, Chair (3 years, 2017-2020)
- Michael Winn, Rector, Holy Spirit Seminary, External Resource Person (3 years, 2017-2020)
- Irenaeus Valyavka, osbm, member (2 years, 2017-2019)
- Bishop David appointed Rev. Thomas Kobak, osbm, as Assistant Pastor of Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton, upon the recommendation of Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior.
Three articles covering recent events in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta:
- “Engaging the Younger Generation: Vegreville UCWLC bake sale and tea invited involvement of young and old,” by Jayne Buryn, Communications Coordinator, Eparchy of Edmonton.
- “Retro Tea A Memorable Trip Through History: Saint Nicholas Parish celebrates 50 years of UCWLC achievement,” by Jayne Buryn.
- “The Travelling Iconostasis – Artist Nich Pelech,” by Therese Yacyshyn.
© 2017 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330